What We’re Learning
Reading: Assessments took a little longer than I had planned last week, so this week we will learn the letter sounds /l/ and /r/. We are continuing to work on decoding and blending short words and phrases, and we’re especially focusing on vowel sounds. Our literature and informational selections will be “Snowy Day” and other books about snow.
Writing: Our writer’s workshop lessons will focus on topic selection and on telling a story with a beginning, middle, and end. We have been working on orally planning a story, and this week we will begin to use graphic organizers and sticky notes to help “quick sketch” what we plan to write and draw.
Math: We are continuing to work with the number line model and beginning addition strategies (counting on, doubling, doubling and adding one).
· It’s snow time! Please be sure your child has appropriate clothing for the weather.
· After this week, we will discontinue our morning snack time. We could still use some snacks for the afternoon. Please send some if you are able. Thanks!
· The first semester ends this Friday. Report cards will be mailed to you next week. Hard to believe the school year is already half over!
Things to Work On
· Counting to 100 by ones and tens.
· Tying shoes and zipping coats.
Friday, January 20: Early release at 11 a.m. No lunch will be served. Teacher work day.
Friday, January 27: Second quarter awards assembly, 2 p.m., elementary gym. Kindergarteners participate in the “fun and games” portions of the assembly, but they do not receive academic awards, because kids this age progress at very different rates, and they are ALL improving tremendously!!